Monday, January 24, 2011

Lennon & MacNeice.

II

Spider, spider, twisting tight--
But the watch is wary beneath the pillow--
I am afraid in the web of night
When the window is fingered by the shadows of
branches,
When the lions roar beneath the hill
And the meter clicks and the cistern bubbles
And the gods are absent and the men are still--
Noli me tangere, my soul is forfeit.
Some now are happy in the hive of home,
Thigh over thigh and a light in the night nursery,
And some are hungry under the starry dome
And some sit turning handles.
Glory to God in the Lowest, peace beneath the earth,
Dumb and deaf at the nadir;
I wonder now whether anything is worth
The eyelid opening and the mind recalling.



God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain.

I'll say it again.

God is a concept
By which we measure
Our pain.

I don't believe in magic
I don't believe in I-ching
I don't believe in Bible
I don't believe in tarot
I don't believe in Hitler
I don't believe in Jesus
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha
I don't believe in Mantra
I don't believe in Gita
I don't believe in Yoga
I don't believe in kings.

I don't believe in Elvis
I don't believe in Zimmerman
I don't believe in Beatles

I just believe in me
Yoko and me
And that's reality.

The dream is over
What can I say?
The dream is over.

Yesterday

I was the Dreamweaver
But now I'm reborn;
I was the Walrus

But now I'm John
.

And so dear friends
You'll just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

5 comments:

irishpoetry said...

A very sad supposed-reality this draws, really really sad empty delusional conclusion.

Anonymous said...

Yip.

Steven said...

Yip, so true.

steven said...

We,ve seen it all before.

Joan Kelly Magennis said...

I wonder what he believes now?
www.irish-poems.com